A Guide to Help you Select the Best Vet Tech Shoes
Granted that veterinary technicians have a messy job. With this in mind, the best vet tech shoes have to withstand a lot of gross fluids. In other words, pee, poop, and vomit are among a few of the things that may end up on your vet tech shoes. Oftentimes, animals who come to the veterinarian’s office are sick, which can mean diarrhea or vomit all over the place.
Whether you are a veterinarian who went to school for eight years to become a DVM or a veterinary nurse, you need to take care of your feet!
The best vet tech shoes should be tough enough to battle the fluids of a sick animal. More importantly, a vet tech shoe that is waterproof will keep your feet protected from the duties of the job. To demonstrate, at the end of each shift, you might feel like bathing in a sanitizing solution. Chiefly you will want the best veterinary technician shoe that can handle it all.
This guide for the best vet tech shoes can also help if you are looking for:
- Best vet nurse shoes.
- DVM shoes, great shoes for a veterinarian.
- Best Veterinary Office Shoes.
- Shoes for the vet assistant.
- Veterinary student shoes.
Oftentimes people think one pair of miracle shoes will solve their foot pain. Another key point is it is the act of switching shoes and not wearing the same pair each day that will ease the foot pain.
- A Guide to Help you Select the Best Vet Tech Shoes
- Number One Best Vet Tech Shoes
- Tied for Number One Best Shoe for a Veterinary Technician or DVM
- Best Vet Tech Shoes For Men
- The Best All Black Vet Tech Shoes for Men
- Best Inexpensive Vet Tech Shoes
- Best Vet Nurse Shoes that are a Sneaker!
- Extremely Comfortable Vet Tech Shoes!
- One of the Best Washable Slip Resistant Shoe for Vet Techs
- Best Breathable Slip-On Shoe for Vet Techs
- Best Breathable Slip on Shoe For Men
- 5 Things To Look For in A Good Pair of Vet Tech Shoes
Specifically we recommend purchasing a few pairs of shoes from our best vet tech shoe list and switch them out daily.
Number One Best Vet Tech Shoes
- Merrell Women’s Moab 2 Waterproof Hiking Shoe
Namely, our number one pick for the best vet tech shoe is the Merrell waterproof hiking shoe. Hiking can often leave your shoes and feet in dire straights after each hike. With this in mind, any shoe that can withstand a hike will do just fine in a veterinary office!
Chiefly, comfort is one of the main design features of a Merrell shoe. Furthermore, whether you are standing on your feet all day working at a veterinarian’s office or hiking a trail, Merrell’s will support you.
Particularly with the Vibram rubber sole and air cushion, you might feel like you are walking on clouds the first time you wear a pair of Merrell shoes.
- Excellent arch support built into this excellent vet tech shoe.
- Supportive for being on your feet all day.
- Fits small, size up.
- The shoe is a “bulky shoe”.
- M Select DRY seals out water and lets moisture escape so you stay dry when you're on the move
- Performance suede leather and mesh upper
- Bellows, closed-cell foam tongue keeps moisture and debris out
- Protective rubber toe cap
- Breathable mesh lining
Tied for Number One Best Shoe for a Veterinary Technician or DVM
- KEEN Women’s Targhee II Hiking Shoe
Tied for our number one pick of best vet tech shoes is this Keen shoe. There is a reason why we feature waterproof hiking shoes as the best vet tech shoes. Firstly they are comfortable, secondly, they have support, and thirdly they are usually waterproof.
The KEEN is excellent at supporting your ankles while providing a soft footbed that comforts your foot. To point out my husband has plantar fasciitis and Keen is the only brand of shoe he can wear. Comparatively all other brands cause him to feel pain while standing.
- A special sole featuring “multidirectional lugs”. This gives you excellent traction on a slippery surface.
- Great arch support.
- Too wide for some with narrow feet. As a result, this might be a plus if you like to wear heavy socks.
- Too big in the heel.
- WATERPROOF: KEEN.DRY a waterproof, breathable membrane lets vapor out without letting water in; Durable waterproof protection stands up to wet weather and lug outsole adds traction
- FIT & DESIGN: Built on a women-specific foot form; Non-removable EVA footbed with added arch support for all-day comfort
- TRACTION: TRACTION: KEEN ALL-TERRAIN rubber outsole provides high-traction grip in muddy environments and on rocky surfaces; Non-marking rubber outsoles leaves no trace or imprints when walking indoors
- SUPPORT & COMFORT: External stability shank offers lightweight support for improved mobility and torsion control; Cushioned collar reduces irritation and discomfort around ankle; Mesh lining helps keep feet cool in warmer environments
- CARE TIPS: We've selected leather uppers designed to last; To treat day to day wear and tear, especially on lighter color leathers, we recommend using a leather cleaner and conditioner, can be found at footwear dealers or repair shop
Best Vet Tech Shoes For Men
- KEEN Utility Men’s Flint Low Steel Toe Work Shoe
Runner up for first place vet tech shoes in the men’s category.
We love KEEN’s shoes for their extreme comfort, durability, quality, and functionality. This KEEN shoe is multifunctional therefore it will be great as a vet tech shoe, hiking shoe, or even on a construction site.
Therefore if you work at a vets office with a concrete floor these vet tech shoes will provide the comfort that your foot deserves. Are you a veterinarian or a vet tech with a 12-hour workday? To summarize it simply: take care of your feet with a pair of KEEN Utility vet tech work shoes.
- Steel toe vet tech shoe. On the contrary, they do not feel like you are wearing steel toe.
- Great arch support, if you have plantar fasciitis.
- Unfortunately after 11 months, the sole can fall off on some pairs.
- Bulky shoe.
- Left and Right Asymmetrical Steel Toes
- Nubuck Waterproof Leather Upper
- Torsional Stability Shank (TSS) for Midfoot Support
- Removable Metatomical Dual Density EVA Footbed
- Oil- and Slip-Resistant Non-Marking Outsole
The Best All Black Vet Tech Shoes for Men
- KEEN Utility Men’s PTC Oxford Work Shoe
Tied for best black men’s vet tech shoe is the KEEN flint. This is the only shoe many veterinarians claim they can wear. More importantly, if you have wide feet then this is the shoe for you.
Whether you are a vet tech, a veterinarian, a nurse, or a Doctor, this shoe will make your workday so much easier.
Due to the all-black color of the shoe, this Keen Utility is a cross between a casual shoe and a dressier shoe. Now don’t get me wrong this is not a dressy shoe, but it can appear that way since it is all black. You will get the same comfort that other KEEN shoes provide with this model.
If you are in the market for men’s vet nurse shoes, definitely get a pair of KEENS.
- Wide shoes. They will provide a luxury of comfort around your toes!
- Comfortable vet nurse shoes even after a 12-hour shift.
- Be aware that these vet nurse shoes can wear out fast. Be prepared to buy a new pair yearly, especially if you wear them every day.
- Keep in mind that, some people report that they are not slip-resistant. In any event I have personally found them to be excellent as a slip-resistant shoe.
- SAFETY FIRST: Features a soft toe built to work in tough conditions and KEEN Patented Toe Protection, where the shoe outsoles wrap up and over the toes for ultimate protection
- COMFORTABLE: The PTC Dress Oxford features a combination of recycled PU, cork, and memory foam that contours to your feet and adjusts for perfect cushioning throughout the day
- STABLE FOOTING: The oil- and slip-resistant non-marking outsoles keep your shoes on the ground so you can work with confidence; meets ASTM F1667-96 Mark II non-slip standards
- WORK ALL DAY: With features like a stability shank and compression moulded midsole, you can work all day without breaking a sweat
- EXTRAS: Features a water- and stain-resistant leather upper and removable footbed
Best Inexpensive Vet Tech Shoes
- MARSVOVO Women’s Non-Slip Sneakers Lightweight Air Knitted Walking Running Shoes
Podiatrists always recommend having a few pairs of comfortable shoes that you can interchange daily. The Marsvovo should be that vet tech shoe that you wear on the days you are not wearing the Merrel’s or KEENs.
One of the great features of this brand of vet tech shoes is that you can wash them! Being able to wash shoes that you wear to your veterinary office job is so important! With this in mind, washing them may make them deteriorate faster. Being that these DVM shoes have a low price point buying 2 pairs is worth it.
- Solid fun colors.
- Very lightweight on the feet.
- Breathable vet tech shoes.
- Low price.
- Cheap quality.
- The eyelets will break with regular use.
- Not enough arch support.
- Breathable and durable air mesh upper allow the foot to breathe
- Arch surport insole and breathable lining give you exceptional support for your performance
- EVA outsole provides soft and durable wearing,special desigin of the outsole hugs your foot properly, light and comfortable.
- Suitable for parties, casual, walking, running, indoor, sports, outdoor, travel, exercise, workout and any occasion.
- 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: Please without any hesitations to contact us if you are not satisfied or have any problems with it, we will handle it within 24 hours.
Best Vet Nurse Shoes that are a Sneaker!
- Saucony Women’s Jazz Original Sneaker
The Saucony is one of the most comfortable sneakers out there. I love the fact that you can pick so many different color combinations. They are one of a kind vet tech shoes, that will make your feet happy!
If you have to be on your feet all day make sure you own at least one pair of Saucony sneakers. Excellent shoes for a DVM, veterinary nurse, or veterinary technician!
Once you give the Saucony a try it will make sense as to why this sneaker has won comfort awards year after year. Remove the insole that the Saucony comes with and add your own. This will provide even more comfort!
- Comfortable, especially as a vet tech shoe.
- Many colors to choose from.
- Once you own a pair you will become a customer for life!
- Not a lot of arch support. This is why you must add a secondary insole.
- Some say the new design has a hard sole.
Extremely Comfortable Vet Tech Shoes!
- ASICS Women’s Gel-Venture 7 Running Shoes
You cannot go wrong by choosing Asics for the best vet tech shoes. Any shoe that has gel and is a running shoe is going to be comfortable.
When I was a veterinary student I wore these Asics shoes to walk the kennel dogs. As a dog walker, you need shoes that are supportive, non-slip, and comfortable. Asics has got the bases covered as the best shoes for a dog walker.
You might be saying to yourself why are they talking about the best shoes for dog walking when the article said best vet tech shoes? Well, it’s simple any shoe that can withstand the daily grind of walking a pack of dogs, can also handle being the best vet tech shoes.
Standing on your feet all day in a veterinary office, especially if they have cement floors can be brutal. Asics shoes will be there to soften the blow.
- The shoe has a built-in cushioning system that provides shock absorption.
- Easy to clean.
- Long-lasting shock absorption.
- This vet nurse shoe can fall apart after a few months of heavy use.
- The colors are not the same as the ones in the photos.
- Durable uppers crafted from synthetic leather and breathable mesh
- Lace up closure for a secure fit
- Fabric linings keep feet cool and dry
- Stabilizing internal heel counter gently helps your foot remain in its natural line of motion
- ORTHOLITE sockliner provides a cushioned layer underfoot, while molding to the shape of your foot for added comfort
One of the Best Washable Slip Resistant Shoe for Vet Techs
- Crocs Women’s On The Clock Work Medical Professional Shoe
Ok, so this list of the 10 best shoes for vet techs would not be complete without mentioning Crocs. Although I don’t particularly like the style of Crocs I do like the comfort they provide.
When you put on a pair of Crocs, you will feel like you are walking on clouds. More importantly, remember to size up so you can add an insole.
If you are a veterinary professional, you should have at least one pair of slip-on DVM shoes. With this in mind, it will be one those long days with so many sick animals one after another, that will wish you wore them.
It’s important to realize that the veterinary technician is the backbone of the vet clinic. Oftentimes the vet tech is the first one there and the last one to leave. For this reason, if you need some gift ideas for the veterinary technician at your clinic, get them a pair of these Crocs.
Keep a pair of these slip-on Crocs at the clinic. Switching into them after the last patient goes home will be a joyous moment for your feet.
- Washable, just use soap and water!
- Not recommended for heavy-duty activity (running).
- Not breathable, your feet can sweat in them.
- THE PERFECT WORK CROCS: Do your shoes live up to your career specialty? The Crocs On-The-Clock Work Slip On Clogs are the Crocs work shoes men and women need for long days and nights
- EASY TO CLEAN: Crocs work clogs are fully molded and easy to clean by just using soap and water and allowing for a quick dry
- CERTIFIABLY COMFORTABLE: Think of these slip resistant shoes as a caffeinated version of the Crocs Classic Clog, all geared up for the grind The enclosed toe and heel meet workplace standards and will protect your feet from spills
- DESIGNED FOR HARD WORKERS: The Crocs On-The-Clock Work Slip On collection was designed with nurses, chefs, baristas and hard workers in mind The slip resistant Crocs are designed with a tapered fit in the back for a secure, relaxed fit
- SLIP RESISTANT: Made with Crocs Lock slip-resistant treads, these Crocs for work are perfect for those at risk of falling The Croslite foam and deeply cushioned footbeds offer Dual Crocs Comfort that is perfect for those long shifts
Best Breathable Slip-On Shoe for Vet Techs
- TOMS Women’s Classic Core Alpargata Slip-On
Generally speaking, I have never seen TOMS shoes on a list for best vet tech shoes. If you are not over the moon about Tom’s shoes then you just haven’t had the opportunity to experience their comfort level. The suede footbed and the tiny arch bump helps absorb shock and keep your feet happy.
Sooner or later you should give TOMS shoes a try and see if they become your favorite vet tech shoes.
- Fit true to size.
- They donate a pair for every pair purchased.
- Comfortable and breathable.
- Once you fall in love with Tom’s shoes you will become a customer for life!
- Washable! Don’t put them in the dryer or this will happen. See the photo below for TOMS shoes that fell apart in the dryer.
A Photo of TOMS Shoes That Fell Apart in the Dryer
- Tom’s shoes take a while to break in. Once your foot breaks in the shoe, it will fit and feel perfect.
- Some people on Amazon got a shoe that was an imitation, not the real TOMS.
- Not recommended for very wide feet.
- Canvas upper with TOMS toe-stitch, and elastic V for easy on and off.
- TOMS classic suede insole with cushion for comfort.
- Latex arch insert for added support.
- One-piece mixed-rubber outsole for resilience, flexibility and durability.
Best Breathable Slip on Shoe For Men
- TOMS Men’s Classics
The TOMS Men’s classic slip-on shoe is great for any veterinary technician or veterinarian that wants some comfort. This vet tech shoe is very breathable, the material is made out of the cloth-like canvas upper.
If you are a man with a wide foot then TOMS might not work for you. For TOMS if it’s an option just size up if you have wide feet.
Just don’t let the dog eat your TOMS, like this IG superstar Reeva.
Carry your pair of TOMS to the veterinary clinic so you can switch into them later on. The veterinarians I have spoken with love to switch into their TOMS after the patient part of their shift is over. Veterinarians and vet techs spend a large part of their shift doing paperwork, (phone calls and emails to clients).
Switch to TOMS shoes and give your feet a break.
- For every pair purchased they donate a pair to a child in need.
- Washable (do not put in the dryer).
- In short, it is the shoe that you can wear all day!
- Inconsistent sizing
- Keep in mind, if you wear them daily, you will need to replace them after a year (as with most shoes that get daily wear).
- Oxford Flat
- 100% Authentic
- Canvas upper
5 Things To Look For in A Good Pair of Vet Tech Shoes
- What type of material is the upper part of the shoe? If the shoe is a rubber type of upper like the Crocs then they will not be breathable. On the other hand, the TOMS, MARSVOVO, Asics, and Saucony’s are very breathable.
- Can you add your favorite insole? Some shoes will have to be sized up so that a secondary insole will fit.
- What type of material is the vet tech shoe sole made out of? This will help you figure out how often they may need replacement. Most of the vet tech shoes on our list will last for 1-5 years depending on how often you wear them.
- Do you want it to be a waterproof shoe? For a waterproof shoe choose the Merrell vet tech shoes. Another option for a waterproof shoe is the Crocs brand of a veterinary professional working shoe.
- Do you need a shoe with arch support? A few of the best vet tech shoes on our list have excellent arch support. If you are standing on your feet all day long, taking care of animals, then a shoe with arch support is important.
Take into consideration everything we have mentioned when selecting one of the vet tech shoes of our list. It is always best to have at least 2 work shoes that you can switch between each day.
Firstly this will prolong the life of the shoe. Secondly, it will decrease foot pain that can occur by wearing one type of shoe too often. Thirdly it will allow the veterinary professional shoes to air out between each wearing.